Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Before I Go

Maybe I have everything packed and physically ready, but emotionally and mentally (what's the difference, right?) I can't help but think that I'm completely unprepared. Not that I haven't familiarized myself with my pre-departure literature (I know all about the cultural adjustment graph thingy, for example). I have. The problem is that I'm totally unprepared for this because there is so much about going to study in France that is completely different from anything I've done before.

Call me out if I'm being a little overdramatic about this, but I've never checked baggage in or gone through customs or flown across an ocean or worried about jet lag or slept on a plane or been to France, much less lived there. I mean, how do you get ready for all that? I dunno ... it's like 2 am the day before I leave so not only am I anxious and excited, but I'm also tired and not thinking straight (and cold. It's really cold in here!).

I just hope that when I get to France, I don't end up just settling into the first comfortable rut that I find and sticking with it until the end. That's exactly what I seem to always do and it's exactly what I have to avoid. For now I better get to bed, though. It's 2 am in Minnesota but 9 am in France. That's like way past my bedtime, yo.

2 comments:

KJ said...

Hey Andrew, I know you're not going to have a ton of computer access, but I hope you'll still keep up with occasional posts. I'm excited to hear about all the fun and non-rut-like things you'll be doing in France!
-Kristyn

Fox said...

There is no telling what's going to happen to you abroad. I'm so glad that you decided to keep a blog about your adventure to keep us updated on where life takes you. Good luck, and if you should happen to see both London AND France, be wary of those proverbial underpants that will be heading your way. They might belong to a hairy fat guy. Keep your wits about you.